What Is Cyber Security ?
Cyber Security by its name defines itself. Cyber Security is the protection of internet connected systems from attack. The protection may be related to Hardware, Software or Data. The Information Technology security(Cyber Security) protects computers, networks, programs and data from unauthorized access or attacks that are aimed for exploitation. These attacks are usually aimed at accessing, altering or destroying sensitive information or interrupting normal business process. Cyber Security protects all of these possible malicious attacks.
Why is Cyber Security Important ?
Not only large business or government industry, Your computer may even contain some information that hackers and other criminals would love to have. That means, everyone is at the risk of cyber attack. Cyber criminals are highly professional now a days. The personal information that hackers and criminals would love to have might be related to email, name, contact number , contact address or essential credit card and bank related data too. Effective Cyber Security reduces the risk of cyber attacks. Since hackers are always finding new methods to access, alter or delete sensitive information and extort money, users must be secure enough by applying cyber security tricks.
Cyber Security aware data protection. Now it’s important for the organizations to battle against cyber attacks due to following top four reasons.
1.The rising cost of data breach
The fact is that the cyber breach is highly expensive. According to the recent data, the real expense due to the cyber attack crosses 20 thousand euro or more for big enterprises. The tight Cyber Security program can save company and enterprises against such highly expensive attacks.
2. Increasing numbers of talented hackers
Today, almost every business contain network access to their information and important data. More easy and convenient that looks , the more risk that poses too. Numbers of talented hackers are increasing daily. With the increased numbers , they use new methods and techniques to grab the information from the malicious attacks. Cyber Security is too important for all the business hubs now.
3. Publicly available hacking tools
Highly skilled professional hackers poses more threat but less professional individuals can also use widely available hacking tools. The wide availability of hacking tools and applications on the internet also means there is also a growing threat from less skilled individuals.The commercialization of cyber attacks has made it easy for anyone to obtain and use the resources they need. Such available tools make them easy to launch damaging attacks, such as ransomware and crypto mining.
4. High use of IOT Devices
Use of IOT devices to automate home and change lives are more common now a days. With the high use of IOT devices , the cyber threat increases. If not managed properly. IOT devices which are connected to the internet possesses more options to cyber criminals as they can have more range of security weaknesses . Cisco has estimated that there would be 27.1 billion connected devices globally by 2021. So this problem of cyber attacks will only worsen with time. This describes, how essential and important is cyber security
What Does Cyber Security Protect ?
Anything that is connected to the internet can be targeted by criminals. Anything that is connected to the internet for communication, or is connected to a computer or other smart device, can be protected by Cyber Security professionals. This includes:
• Communication systems : email, phones, text messages
• Transportation systems : traffic control, car engines, airplane navigation systems
• Government databases : Social Security numbers, licenses, tax records
• Financial systems : Bank accounts, loans and paychecks
• Medical systems : Equipment and medical records
• Educational systems : Grades, report cards and research information
Cyber Security can defend computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks. It can also be called as IT security or electronic information security which can be divided into a few common categories.
- Network security : Network security is the exercise of securing a computer network from cyber attacks.
- Application security : Application Security is a process of keeping software and devices free of threats. A compromised application could provide more threats to the attack and it’s easy for the cyber criminals to access the data. Application security begins in the design stage, well before a program or device is deployed.
- Information security : Information Security protects the privacy and integrity of data, both in storage and in transit.
- Operational security : Operational security includes the decisions and processes for protecting and handling data assets. The permissions on network and data storage while accessing the information by users are covered by this security.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity : It defines how an organization responds to a cyber-security incident or event after a cyber attack. Disaster recovery policies dictate how the organization restores its information as it was before the event. With this type of security in mind, there is a less chance of failure after such cyber attacks. There is a guarantee of business continuity.
- End-user education : It addresses the most unpredictable cyber attack. Anyone can accidentally introduce a virus to the already secure system by failing to follow good security practices. Teaching users about some simple mistakes that can invite cyber attacks can save most common attacks. Some examples include deletion of suspicious email attachments, not plug in unidentified USB drives etc.
The summary is that , Cyber Security can defend the above explained categories from attack. It gives Network security, Application security,Information security, Operational security, Disaster recovery and business continuity and End-user education. The range that Cyber Security protects covers all type of Cyber Attacks that malicious hackers may target.
Is Cyber Security In Demand ?
Certainly, In fact, a non-profit information security advocacy group called ISACA has predicted that there will be a global shortage of at least two million cyber security professionals by 2019. So by this data , we can say that the Cyber Security is a high demanding career in IT field.
How To Become A Cyber Security Expert ?
Depending on requirements , You may need a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Cyber Security or in some cases you will be marked as a cyber security professional if you have a certificate of Cyber Security and a good experience in this field.
What Does Cyber Security course cover ?
There are many information security courses available. Study in all of the major information security disciplines include Ethical hacking, Computer security, Network security, Application security, Internet security,Vulnerability Assessment, Penetration Testing, Computer Forensics, Intrusion Detection, Network Security Essentials and Security Fundamentals security courses. Most common certifications in Cyber Security include,
|Certification||Simply Hired||Indeed||LinkedIn Jobs||TechCareers||Total|
|GSEC (SANS GIAC)
What Jobs are in Cyber Security ?
Once You learn Cyber Security course, You have more than hundreds of job titles to apply. But the main top positions in Cyber Security are listed below.
- Security Analyst.
- Security Engineer.
- Security Architect.
- Security Administrator.
- Security Software Developer.
- Security Consultant
What Is The Average pay for Cyber Security Professional ?
Cyber security Salaries are higher. The average salary is $116,000, or approximately $55.77 per hour for a Cyber Security. It’s nearly three times the national median income for full-time wage and salary workers.
Where Can I Learn Cyber Security In Nepal ?
Broadway Infosys is a pioneer IT institute providing Cyber Security training in Nepal. You can learn all the topics and modules related to Cyber Security and become a Cyber Security Professional. Some of the topics covered in cyber security are :